Latest Educational UpdatesTertiary Admissions/ Updates

Admissions Requirements University of Memphis

Admissions Requirements

First-Time Freshman Requirements

A First-Time Freshman has no previous college enrollment after high school. To be considered for admission, First-Time Freshmen must:

Apply for Admission.
Pay the non-refundable application fee ($25).
Provide an official transcript of all high school credits with a minimum of 3 years of high school work included.
Provide a standardized exam result (ACT or SAT)

Students offered admission to the University of Memphis will be notified of the decision in writing. At times, more information may be requested (7th semester grades, 8th semester grades, new/improved test results, etc.).
High School Curriculum Requirements

The following list of high school units represents the minimum high school academic requirements:

English (4 units)
Visual and/or Performing Arts (1 unit)
Mathematics (3 units: Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II at least)
Natural and Physical Science (2 units: at least one unit of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
Social Studies (2 units: 1 unit must be US History)
Foreign Language (2 units: of the same language)

Standardized Exam Requirements

All students must provide a standardized exam result (typically the ACT and/or SAT) in support of their application for admission. Standardized exam results are considered valid only if they were completed within 5 calendar years of the term for which a student plans to enroll. The University also uses the ACT or SAT sub-scores to determine placement levels in certain areas. Be sure to submit all standardized exam results with your application for admission. There is no score that alone will guarantee admission.

Home school graduates must comply with state law by submitting proof of registration with the local education agency which the child would otherwise attend. This document must be submitted with the high school transcript at the time an application is being considered for admission.

High school curriculum requirements are the same for students who are home schooled as they are for those in traditional high school settings.

Students can choose to take either the ACT, the SAT, or both in support of their application for admission. All scores, including sub-scores, are necessary when evaluating any student for admission and must be submitted directly from the testing agency itself.

GED or HiSET Applicant Requirements

Students who successfully complete the General Education Diploma Test (GED) or the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) must have the official exam results submitted to the Office of Admissions. The minimum requirement for admission is an average score of 450 or 45 respectively.

GED/HiSET applicants must submit ACT or SAT scores if under 21 years of age. Those applicants older than 21 must provide an ACCUPLACER exam instead of the ACT or SAT.
Adult Applicant Requirements

Adult students are defined as being 21 years of age or older when they start college for the first time. In addition to providing an official copy of their high school transcript, these students must take the ACCUPLACER exam in place of either an ACT or SAT standardized exam.

Adult students may have either a regular high school diploma or a GED/HiSET and still be considered for admission. Applicants may be asked to provide additional information about their academic and career goals.

Non-Degree Transient Requirements

Transient students are one of several classifications of non-degree status. These students take classes at UofM and transfer them back to their home institution. Like all non-degree classifications, there is no “major” for a transient student candidate, but they should indicate they plan to return to their current institution.

Transient Students should understand the following:

Financial aid is not available to transient students at UofM.
There is a maximum of 24 credits that can be earned in a non-degree category.
There is no need to submit official transcripts and supporting documents to be offered admission.

Should a candidate decide to formally transfer to UofM, these documents will be required at time.

Because transient student enrollment will ultimately be transferred back to a home institution, there is no professional advising required at UofM.
Transient students must still take curricular pre-requisites to take certain classes.
An unofficial transcript from a home institution may be necessary to confirm these pre-requisites.


Undergraduate (Bachelor’s Degree) International Admissions Requirements


All students, both freshmen and transfer, must apply online for admission as an undergraduate student.

Freshman admission is competitive and based upon a comprehensive review of the student’s academic record. The primary factors include the high school/secondary grade point average and demonstrated English proficiency.

Transfer admission is competitive and based upon the cumulative grade point average of all previously attended colleges/universities (international and domestic) and must be at least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale for consideration. Demonstrated English proficiency is also required of all international applicants.

Pay the non-refundable undergraduate application fee of $50.

Applicants should upload a copy of their unofficial international transcript or marks sheet (high school/secondary or college/university) using our secure document upload system.
The Office of Undergraduate Admission and Orientation will conduct an initial assessment of your international transcript/marks sheet for admissions review. Receipt of official transcript/marks sheet will be required prior to enrollment.

After the application fee has been paid and all high school or college transcripts have been uploaded, review of the undergraduate application will begin. While the review period may vary, on average, applicants will be notified by email of a decision within 5-7 business days.

After admission to the UofM, all transfer students with international college/university course work must have their official international college transcripts/marks sheet evaluated by a NACES approved credentialing agency in order to receive course transfer credit. No unofficial college transcripts will be evaluated for course credit.

All international transfer applicants must have their international documents evaluated by a US credentialing agency that holds membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Please access the website at Once there click on How to Find a Member. Any of the agencies found on this website can be used to do the evaluation, however the University of Memphis partners with SpanTran for an expedited evaluation process. Transfer applicants should request the agency to do a Course-by Course evaluation

Demonstrated English language proficiency is required of all international students. English proficiency may be satisfied two ways:

A minimum score or greater on any of the following English language tests:

Exam Minimum Score
TOEFL 61 on the internet-based test or
500 on the paper/pencil test
PTE 50

Improve your English proficiency and gain full admission to the University of Memphis by participating in the Intensive English for Internationals (IEI) program. Successful completion of IEI will increase students’ English language abilities, professional skills, and add to one’s personal growth.


Request for Your UCC Transcript, Attestation, and English Proficiency Letter


Peter N. Djangmah is a multifaceted individual with a passion for education, entrepreneurship, and blogging. With a firm belief in the power of digital education and science, I am affectionately known as the Private Minister of Information. Connect with me

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Kindly turn on ads to support our work