Mass Reposting/Transfer of Teachers – Unions to intervene
As you may be seeking transfer to a new place and the stress you have to pass through to get that done, some may also be transferred against their will which may call for redress.
In a press released by the Teacher Unions in WESTERN REGION , some Teachers have been transferred from their current management units where they didn’t even apply to be transferred.
sympathize with your Colleagues , Just imagine, you just paid your rent, your wards school fees or you just put up a small building or you are now HOD or House Master and this transfer comes, total demotion . Let your water be close, the fire is still burning
Here is the full press released by the Unions
Lady’s and Gentlemen of the Press,
THE TEACHER UNIONS welcome you all warmly to this press conference which brings to fore a very worrying phenomenon that terrorizing our members for that matter teachers in the Western Region in general.
The Collective Agreement for Teaching Staff within Ghana Education Service (GES) section 10.1 stipulates that “Employees may be assigned duties anywhere in Ghana as the exigencies of the service may demand” and for that matter Teachers are not against Reposting/Transfers and if it must be done, not to take away the director’s exercise of her power of discretion ,but to appeal to her to consider the times we find ourselves in, so that any decision taken to affect teachers do not negatively impact on their social and economics lives,
Reliable information reaching us is that Regional Director’s decision of Education has embarked on a massive Reposting/transfer of teachers who have spent more than fifteen years in their respective place of work.
ISSUES OF CONCERN
The effect of the implementation of the Director’s decision, if allowed to stand will be very devastating.
- It takes several years to develop oneself socially. Many of our members have taken years to land good accommodations for themselves. Some have paid rent advance to cover a year or Two. Others have just their rent payments which will not be refunded when they leave their places of residence, as a result of the “tsunami” that we are experiencing now.
Sending the teacher to another school, without prior notice within the beginning of the academic year to go and look for accommodation will be malicious and unfair to him/her.
Pursuant to the Collective Agreement for teaching staff within the Ghana Educative Service (GES),” section 15.10 on transfer grant; “A Transfer Grant of the (3) Months Basic Salary shall be paid to each member on approved transfer: An employee shall be paid a transfer grant at the approved rate where the transfer is at the instance of Management, provided it is not on disciplinary grounds and the transfer result in the change of station as well as movement of household effects”,
It is the prerogative of GES to repost/transfer teachers ,however, anyone transferred is entitled to three (3) months of gross salary as transfer grants.
2. Discriminatory, Reposting/transfers of Teachers.
Teachers who have spent fifteen (15) years and above in some of the schools are still at post while others have put to transfer.
3. The reposting/transfer seems to be an attack on senior teachers such as Heads of Departments, Directors of Studies, Senior House Masters and House Masters who are now affected by the transfer which has culminated in reducing them to ordinary teachers in their new schools. This can be seen as a demotion meanwhile, they have not appeared before any disciplinary committee sitting.
4. Teachers have already put their wards in schools and paid various school fees which are non-refundable.
Some have even renewed their rent which are not refundable. To transfer the teacher to another school in another town within three weeks of an academic year, the teacher now has to choose between commuting on high transportation fares or moving into a new apartment closer to his/her new school.
Please, consider the cost of moving a whole family suddenly at this current time over 50% inflation and interest rate of more than 30%. This is pushing the poor teacher to consider suicide.
5. We call on the Regional Directorate to add Human face to this activity. teachers who are staying in bungalows, need to be informed of the transfer for at least a year to enable them to prepare mentally and physiologically before they can move.
INTERVENTION BY THE UNIONS
On behalf of our members, we call on the Regional Director of Education to immediately put on hold the mass reposting/transfer of teachers. WE are by this press conference calling on all stakeholders to engage Regional Education Directorate to avert an escalation of the problem.
Additionally, we call on National Officers of the Teacher Unions to intervene. This will enable affected teachers to organize themselves to settle properly for academic work.
WILLIAM BOADU ABEDI, REGIONAL SECRETARY, GNAT
JUSTIN ALLSWELL NELSON, REGIONAL CHAIRMAN, NAGRAT
DANIEL T. AGBO, REGIONAL CHAIRMAN, CCT-GH
CAGD (GOG) How to Change Association on Epayslip Portal- NEW
How to Write GES Transfer Letter Sample New Format
GES Promotion, Transfer, Change of Name, Salary adjustment etc Must be Directed to this Office
How to Change Schools within the Same district; transfer
Easy Way to Apply For Inter Regional Transfer in GES-100% Assurance
REVISED: HOW TO APPLY FOR RELEASE TRANSFER IN GES
How to get your claims after terminating with an Association/Union