As a government worker, one of the experiences you wouldn’t wish to have is your salary being blocked.
Very painful experience. The channels you would have to pass through before your salary would be restored are many.
What will make your salary be blocked by the Controller and Accountant General’s Department?
There are several ways one’s salary can be blocked from the GES to the Controller.
Every month, Teachers (Government workers) are validated usually from the 15th of every month.
It is the validated list that is paid by the controller.
If one is not validated three consecutive times, the Controller and Accountant General’s Department blocks the salary/Account.
What prevents a person from being validated?
- Not reporting to work without any permission
- Change of management unit.
- Study leave without pay or permission
- Negligence to validate
If you do not report to work for several days without permission as stipulated in the worker’s code of conduct, the Head of the institution has the right not to validate you.
Changing of the Management unit
The management unit is the institution or school where you work. If for any reason you change your school or management unit, the former institution would have to validate you for some time, about 3 months then the new management unit would take over.
You need to communicate with the validators and remind them not to make mistakes. Should both of them forget to validate you, your salary will not be paid. If the two management units also by mistake validate you, your salary will not be paid.
Some study leaves come with pay, for study leaves without pay, it means you must be placed back on payroll which is another difficult issue. But can be done. All you need to do is to see the Authorities with your documents and letter.
Newly Posted Teachers not receiving salary
For newly posted teachers, some other factors can block your salary from being paid.
- Wrong Bank account details. During the Biometric registration, you must make sure the Bank account information you provide is accurate, especially your Bank account number.
2. Rectification of wrong name. Sometimes when the IPPD forms data are being entered into the system, they make mistakes, during the Biometric registration, you must not change or correct the name. The correction can be done later when the salary starts flowing. Changing or correcting the name will delay the salary since the new name will not be found in the system.
3. Validation. As a new teacher, you must also be validated before your salary is paid, if you do not go to work, or do not follow professional conduct, your head or validator will not validate you.
If your salary is blocked, you need to write a letter to the Controller and Accountant General’s Department for Restoration.
That sometimes takes about 3 to 4 months before it is restored. This is because the office has to investigate the reason for the block. There are also ‘Ghost’ names in the system that are being eliminated, Pensioners are also being eliminated, and a whole lot of other issues they are dealing with, so you can not get prompt feedback.
You just have to stay focused, do your part, and don’t have issues with your management units. Salary restoration takes time.
The letter sample
Here is a sample letter to be written to the controller plus a cover letter from the Head of your institution.
30th October, 2023.
THE DIRECTOR GENERAL,
GHANA EDUCATION SERVICE (GES) HQ,
P. O. Box M45,
APPLICATION FOR SALARY RESTORATION
My salary has not been paid since …………2023 because I was not a validator from January 2023.
or my salary has not been paid since January 2023 as I changed my management unit from …………. to …………….
I humbly write for my salary to be restored.
FULL NAME: SEEKERS NEWS GH
MY STAFF ID: 140000
NAME OF BANK: GCB
BANK BRANCH: ACCRA
BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER IF CHANGED: 101010101011010
Will be counting on you.
THE REGIONAL DIRECTOR,
GHANA EDUCATION SERVICE (GES),
THE METRO DIRECTOR,
CAPE COAST METRO,
Attach files include,
Assumption of Duty letter,
Last promotion letter,
and any other document that will be requested from the Office.